Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Snotnose

I usually say nothing because I give everybody the benefit of the doubt - that is, I expect that if they make an annoying sound they can’t help themselves. I once lived with a guy who made the most annoying sound that went something like “NYYECK NYECK NYYECK” - yeah, that was it. He tended to pull a screwy face when he was making the sound too. I always figured he had a sinus condition and he was swallowing snot or something.

Then we ended up getting on each other’s nerves and I moved out and got my own place. Upon visiting him one night, I found him entertaining some chickie he was having a fling with, and sure enough he made the NYECK NYECK NYYECK sound again. She turned to him and said, “What are you *doing*?” “Oh,” he said,, “I was just scratching my throat - all of us in our family do that.” At that moment I realized that he had *full* control of the sounds he was making - it was a *voluntary* thing. I said, “Well, if I’d known *that*, I would have told you to shut up!”

No comments:

Post a Comment